Day 25: Kumamoto Prefecture
The last day of week 5 has us cross the border to visit Kagoshima’s neighbour: Kumamoto. Kumamoto is also found on the island of Kyushu and its capital also goes by the same name.
1. What does shanshan (しゃんしゃん) mean in Kumamoto?
2. What kind of animal is a tebo (てぼ) in Kumamoto?
3. What was the area of Kumamoto called prior to the Meiji Restoration?
4. What is the name of the largest limestone cave system in Kyushu which houses 20,000 greater horseshoe bats?
5. What is the name of this garden in Kumamoto which was commissioned by Lord Hosokawa Tadatoshi in 1636 as a retreat to enjoy Japanese tea?
6. What is the name of this mountain in Kumamoto, which is Japan’s largest active volcano?
7. What is the name of the manga artist who was born in Kumamoto and is the creator of the best-selling manga and best-selling comic series of all time?
8. What is the name of the traditional treat in Kumamoto that is a steamed sweet dumpling with a sweet potato and red bean paste filling?
9. Kumamoto is the largest domestic producer of what fruit in Japan?
10. Write a haiku poem which best describes the beauty and charms of Kumamoto.
Answers for Day 24: (1) a fish (2) to walk about or to wander (3) Satsuma Peninsula and Ōsumi Peninsula (4) Mt Kaimon or Satsuma Fuji (5) true (6) Jomon Sugi (縄文杉) (7) Hiroyuki Sakai (8) Naba Tajima (9) raw chicken meat